Reflection on Rain



I sat and listened to the rain
It pelted windows
It eased my pain
But I couldn’t go outside, not yet
Trying hard to forget
I sat and listened to the rain
It showed no signs of stopping
The sky outside was dark and mad
The trees shivered from the cold
Then suddenly the thunder roared
Boldly like it mattered
I shuddered as I heard its cry
And watched the loose glass shatter
Into tiny shards of what used to be
Now scattered in new patterns
I couldn’t escape this vivid dream
Nor silence its loud clatter
So I sat and listened to the rain
And let it ease my pain
Each drop that fell
Each puddled that formed
Converged into a perfect storm
And as the tears welled in my eyes
And my heart began to race
I noticed a crack
In the dark and maddened space
And there between the crevice of the clouds
The sky and sun crept through
I whispered “is it you?”
So as I sat and listened
This time to my heart
I chose to remember
We’re never far apart
For being there in the rain that day
And working through my pain
I could smile and carry on
Knowing you live on
So when the rain falls steadily down
Making its presence known
I’ll sit and watch
I’ll dance and sing
I’ll let it ease my pain
But most of all I won’t forget
All that I have gained






Comments

Popular Posts