Lessons in Nostalgic Restrospect

The nostalgia hit me the minute we arrived in town and grabbed lunch from our favorite pizza place: two large slices. Just the way we remembered it - except I forgot to order the blue cheese on the side for dipping the crust. It seemed appropriate to return here - and to this town - as my husband and I celebrated a milestone wedding anniversary. It was here, after all, that brought us together.

Although we've both returned to campus a few times throughout the years, this was the first time I walked around the university since graduating. So, just like the old days, I made the familiar trek from the old campus to new. I'm not even sure they still refer to it this way so with this I may be dating myself. Thankfully, my husband humored me in my desire for exploration and giving in to my nostalgia.

It was odd but familiar walking around the place where I spent four years of my young adulthood. The clouds hung overhead, and the mist reminded me of the temperamental weather indicative of being on the shores of Lake Ontario. The campus was quiet except for the occasional maintenance crew. The students have gone for their summer break - some to return in the fall and others about to embark on a new chapter in their lives. I remember those days fondly.

As I meandered through campus, silence and memories greeted me with ease. Secretly, I gushed like it was my first time on campus, and I did little to contain my excitement and wonder. I marveled at the former student union covered in ivy and weather worn from harsh winters and age; even going inside to take a peek at its repurposing. Although there is no more Sweet Shop from which to retrieve my daily dose of Swedish Fish or Time Pieces to have a beer and a slice of pizza, I could still feel the vibe.

Across the way, the library stood just as I remember it and I couldn't help but think about how many hours I spent there when I was a student. I remember one grueling night preparing for a meteorology test and pouring over my index cards feverishly trying to digest all of it. I'm still perplexed as to what possessed me to take it as a Gen Ed class. I'm not sure I remember much from the course aside from being able to identify cloud formations. Then again, clouds seem to inspire me; especially when I fly. So, there's that.

As I walked past the library, I thought about all the classes I attended in the next two buildings: one for my Communication and PR lecture halls and the other for the random Psychology courses I took. So many days spent learning. Of course, my favorite ones were when the weather cooperated in late summer/early fall, and the class relocated to the Sundial in the quad.

One of the biggest highlights of the day, however, is the way my perception and appreciation for both my college education and the campus is changed. Back then, I lived for the moment. I was a college student, and I did all I could to enjoy my time there. However, I never fully appreciated the value of my education and the beautiful surroundings in which I learned and eased into my adulthood.

Now, as a forty-something-year-old, I recognize how blessed I was to have such an enriching experience and the freedom to pursue higher education in my quest for learning and development; and I am grateful. I never took it for granted, but I'm not sure back then I could fully appreciate the value of it. Today is a different story. Today I realize the impact those four years had on me. Although my life took a different course than I imagined back then, much of who I am today, I owe to the experiences and lessons gained there.

Similar to when I returned to grad school after having been away from an academic environment for over a decade and a half, I learned not only in the classroom but from my experiences and interactions outside of there too — gaining personally and professionally.
  • I became more independent and more confident.
  • I was fearless - or so it seemed.
  • I made friends.
  • I tried new things.
  • I learned about resiliency.
  • I discovered how much I loved to write.
  • I struggled.
  • I succeeded.
  • I failed, but I got back up.
  • I made the Dean's list.
  • I fell in love and had my heart broken. Then fell in love again.
  • I partied, lived for pizza balls on the walk back to campus, and congregated in a study lounge with my friends to laugh, and drink, and levitate.
  • I once pulled out a can a "whoop ass." Long story.
  • I graduated!

Perhaps some of this didn't directly contribute to my formal education, but it certainly did to my life education. For that, I will always be grateful.

Back then, in the winter months primarily, my breath used to be taken away by the powerful force of the wind as I made my way through the infamous "wind tunnel" as we used to refer to it. Now my breath is taken away by the beautiful surroundings where I spent so much time.

While it was an overcast day and I couldn't see the sun caressing the lake, I got to admire the vibrant green hues of the trees and grass, smell the flowers, and admire the lagoon peeking through the trees - an indication of growth and rebirth. As I stood on the bridge looking toward the water, I remembered how much I always loved the sunsets here. I knew this beauty was there back then, but now I know how much I seek it for its solace and inspiration.

I can't tell you why I felt so compelled to reach back to this part of my life or why I am writing about it. Other than this: so much of our stories are made up of millions of moments. It's quite amazing, really when I think about it. While we may not always see it when we are in it or understand how the moment connects any of the dots, we do have the gift of reflection and an ability to not only compose our stories but mold them too; which, I believe, is the biggest take away from my day of nostalgic retrospect.

I believe it is important to grab hold of our moments. Capture them. Savor them. Share them. Life is for living, after all.

Comments

Popular Posts