Garnet & Jewel: Ancient

Image by rawpixel from Pixabay

Bang, bang, bang - it was all I could hear as I stood in the foyer of the manor. My heart, I swear, two seconds away from stopping with a subzero chill running up and down my spine. I had goosebumps, and I was trying not to panic.

Bang, bang, bang! This time louder and more intense. Like someone hammering on a steel door begging to be let out. It echoed through the manor, and although I couldn't be sure, I thought it might be coming from the basement. And then it stopped. Entirely. 

Phew. I thought as I regained my composure and decided to call Garnet. This time on her mobile phone. But she didn't answer. 

Oh god. What is going on? If this is you, Garnet, it's not funny! The words barely escaped my lips when I realized I had a text message. 

I'm here, Jewel. But can you come up to the third floor? I know it gives you the creeps but, please, Jewel. Come upstairs. You have to see this. 

Taking a deep breath and mustering my courage, I looked at the ancient stairs. Their dark wood looks distressed but sturdy. I thought as I neared them. Taking the first step onto them, I let out a deep breath. With each step, a creak until I made it to the top of the third floor. 

Garnet's back was to me, and she was standing in front of the middle window. Next to her stood Gemma’s nephew.

Oh. My. God. It’s just like Madama Vadoma said all those years ago. I couldn’t believe it.

Comments

Popular Posts