Garnet & Jewel: The Freeze


Image by pasja1000 from Pixabay
Brrr. I thought as I pulled on my wool sweater. What a chilly morning. But that’s not going to stop me.

I grabbed a cup of coffee, slipped on my cozy boots, wrapped a scarf around my neck, and headed out to my favorite morning spot.

The air was crisp, and the trees were shedding aggressively now, leaving their colorful cast all over the ground. Their branches, almost bare, made more room for the sky to show through.
As I settled onto the porch swing, struggling a bit with scooting onto it and not spilling my coffee, I was awestruck at the beauty before me.

This place had become a home to me, especially after that night. Garnet had always joked that I’d be the one to be the hermit. I never wanted to believe her, but maybe she wasn’t so far off. Damn you, Garnet.

With my hands warmed around the mug, I took my first sip of hot coffee. I felt my body warm-up almost immediately. It ran through my veins, slowly waking me up. Good morning, world.

My thoughts turned back to Garnet and how much we both loved this time of the year. I couldn’t get her off my mind. Then again, she was always my glue. Maybe it’s time. No, no. I’m not ready. Not yet.

I took a deep breath to help fight back the tears I could feel welling up in my eyes. As I exhaled slowly, I could see my breath on this cold morning — quite a contradiction to the brightness of the sun. Indeed the first freeze of the season had occurred. 

Now, if only I could thaw the ice that had formed between us.

Comments

Popular Posts