Garnet & Jewel: Legend

Image by rawpixel from Pixabay

It was peeking out from the desk drawer, almost like it was stuck. The envelope was yellowed, and the edges worn from age. My name, written in calligraphy, adorned the front - the black ink still as bold as the day I received the letter. 


Garnet gave me this letter for my 18th birthday, and I've kept it in my keepsakes all these years. With each move, I carefully packed it away and brought it with me, always sure to keep it in a safe place after settling. 


I found it strange that somehow it was disturbed from its resting spot, but then again, maybe I moved it unknowingly when I was putting the paperwork away last night. It was late, after all.


Opening the letter wasn't necessary. I had read it so many times over the years that I knew it word for word. Even now, it still makes me smile to think about the legend that Garnet shared with me in her letter. 


I miss her storytelling; I say to myself as I open the drawer and gently tuck the letter back into its place. The legend of the woods is safe for another day.

Comments

Popular Posts