Garnet & Jewel: Ghost

Image by rawpixel from Pixabay

What the hell?! I exclaimed both panicked and perplexed at the light not working and the muddy treads that weren’t mine. The footprints were fresh, so I suspected whoever left them might still be in the manor.


In my flurry of thoughts and my fight or flight debate with myself, I heard someone walking around. The footsteps were getting louder and closer, closer and louder, and my heart was racing. I felt trapped and, although my instinct was to run, my feet felt like I had deadbolted to the floor. 


Come on, Garnet. Get your wits about you. It is probably nothing. Call 9-1-1. I repeated over and over as I willed myself to move.  You live for this kind of stuff: An old manor, suspicious activity, and All Hallow’s Eve just a day away. It’s like your dream come true.


Then, almost as soon as I finished my thought, the light mysteriously came on, and the footsteps ceased. I wasn’t sure if I should be relieved or more suspicious. My heart still pounding, I noticed that the treads lead to the basement. But I wasn’t going down there — not a chance in hell. I might be curious, but I had to draw the line somewhere.


But before I could make my next move, it started again. Footsteps. Loud, heavy steps. This time they were coming up the basement stairs. I was sure of it. 


Damn you, Jewel, if this is you playing a prank on me. Well, I probably deserve it. Quick, Garnet. Just get out. And as I kicked it into high gear, the basement door flew open, causing me to stop dead in my tracks. 


A blood-curdling scream escaped my mouth, followed by a shocked Holy shit!


What’s the matter, Garnet? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.


I think I have, I said to Gemma’s nephew standing before me.

Comments

Popular Posts