Garnet & Jewel: Injured

Image by rawpixel from Pixabay

“What happened?” I asked Garnet as she approached me limping. 

“Oh, it's nothing, Jewel.” 

“If it is nothing, Garnet, then why are you favoring your right leg. What gives?”

“I don't want to talk about it, Jewel.”

“I'm not buying it, Garnet. Where were you this morning, anyway? You never answered my text, and you missed having coffee with Nate and me at Bella's. I know you weren't sure if you were going to make it, but I thought you wouldn't be able to resist one of Bella's cinnamon rolls. She only makes them this time of year.”

“I know Jewel, and I wanted to stop by, but I -” 

Garnet stopped mid-thought as if distracted.

“But you what, Garnet?” Jewel asked, now trying to pry the details from Garnet.

“I, um, I had something to do.”

“Clearly,” Jewel said sarcastically. “Does whatever you did have anything to do with why you are walking funny?”

“You are quite observant, Jewel.” Garnet snapped back. 

“Jesus Christ, Garnet. What is wrong with you? You are bitchy this morning.”

Tears started to well in Garnet's eyes, and she could feel her face getting hotter- a sure sign that she was on the verge of crying. 

“Oh, no. I'm sorry, Jewel said immediately upon seeing Garnet's reaction. I didn't mean to -”

“No, it's not you, Jewel. You are right. I am having some bitch hic-cups this morning, which is why I decided not to meet you earlier. Plus, there was something that I needed to do.”

“It's okay, Garnet, Jewel said her tone softer now.” 

Garnet wasn't usually this way, so Jewel eased up. 

“It's just not like you. Nate and I were concerned.”

“I'm sorry, Jewel. I'm not at my best today. You are right by the way I am limping. I may have injured my foot this morning when I misstepped a rock on the Chestnut Trail.”

“The Chestnut trail?! Garnet, what were you doing out there?”

Garnet didn't answer Jewel. She had already said too much. She could only look at Jewel, trying to hold back tears, and held on tightly to the box in her jacket pocket.

Comments

Popular Posts