Garnet & Jewel: Ride

Image by rawpixel from Pixabay

"Do you remember what it felt like to swing when we were kids," I asked Jewel.

"Of course, I remember Garnet. It was one of our favorite things to do besides staying up late and talking about all the things we wanted to do when we got older. Oh, and making snow angels in the freshly fallen snow during the winter, how could I forget that?!"

"Yeah, there was that, I said," suddenly feeling more nostalgic than before.

"Why do you ask, Garnet?" Jewel said with concern in her voice.

"I don't know. Wait. Maybe I do. I keep having this recurring dream. Most of it is fuzzy, but there is a pattern to it. We are swinging and laughing, and then suddenly, you and I both jump off our swings and start running. But I don't know why."

"Where are we running to?" I ask Garnet, laughing, and intrigued by her dream.

"That's the thing. I don't know that either. But the next thing I know, we are standing in the middle of the botanical gardens at the park. There's a sculpture of a dragon made out of what seems like a million brightly colored flowers. It smells sweet, and the dragon stands almost 12 feet tall. He's breathing fire made up of bright orange dahlias."

"That's a vivid and specific dream, Garnet, especially the orange dahlias. Then again, it is one of your favorite flowers." 

"I know, and it seems strange that it keeps recurring."

"Does anything else happen in this dream, Garnet?"

"No. I usually wake up after we encounter the dragon in the gardens. But, last night, I had a different variation of the dream."

"Were we still swinging in the park, Garnet?"

"Yeah, we were. And we were dizzy with laughter. I think because you had spied your boy crush, Ash, and we couldn't help but giggle." 

"Ash was in your dream," Jewel said inquisitively and curious about where this was going. 

"I know. It seems crazy, and I cannot make heads or tails of it. Other than we were young and innocent."

"And wild with imagination," Jewel interjected.

"Yes, that we were." 

"So, what happened next?" Jewel asked with anticipation.

"We jumped off the swings because you wanted to seek out Ash, but I was hungry, so I convinced you we should stop at the concession for hot dogs and french fries. Then, as I was about to tell you how tasty my hot dog smeared in mustard was, Ash appeared. You almost choked on your food.”

"I almost choked!" I yelled at Garnet. 

"Yes, but it was nothing serious, Jewel."

"Okay, Garnet. It's your dream. Then, what happened?"

"Well, it was going to be dark soon, and we forgot our coats." 

"That's strange, Garnet. We always had to be home well before dark."

"I thought so too, Jewel. I can't connect the dreams. I know there's a deeper meaning to all this, but there are missing pieces. And the last thing I remember before I wake up is the oddest."

"Why, Garnet? What happens?"

"We decide to ride the roller coaster, which I don't even like!"

"Seriously?!" Jewel exclaims in amusement.

"Yes, seriously, Jewel. But despite my dislike for them, we do it anyway. We get loaded on, and the ride starts. I'm hanging on for dear life, and you are smiling wildly. The car starts to creep up the steep rails, and my heart is racing. We begin to go over the top, and then it stops. The damn thing is stuck, and it is getting dark, and we are just hanging there! The last thing I remember is me laughing hysterically and you yelling at the top of your lungs. Then I woke up."

"That's quite a dream, Garnet."

"We had quite a childhood, Jewel. " 

___________________________________________________

This story includes prompts that I missed, so I combined them all into one account. The words are:
Swing, Pattern, Snow, Dragon, Ash, Dizzy, Tasty, Dark, Coat, Ride.


Comments

Popular Posts