Garnet & Jewel: Frail



I sat at a table in the back of the coffee shop. I loved it here. It was the only one in town and visited mostly by locals and visitors who become locals, like myself. It is hard to believe I've been coming here for over six months — time flies.

It's welcoming here, and the small shop offers comfort and ease. Something that I longed for upon my arrival. After leaving Nate that night, the only thing I was sure of was that I made the right decision. At that moment, anyway. I still love Nate, and walking away from him was the hardest thing I've had to do next to leaving Garnet. One night I walked away from the two most important people to me. They were my tribe, and I miss them both so much. 

However, I am not ready. Not yet. 

As I take a sip of my latte, I people-watch from the oversized leather chair that's become my go-to spot. It's tucked away in the corner, and I am free to read, write, and observe. And occasionally mingle. 

I watch as the door opens. It's a woman whom I don't recognize. Maybe she's visiting, I think. Oddly, I feel drawn to her and can't stop watching as she walks toward the counter and hesitates for a moment. I can tell that she isn't familiar with the shop, and the Barista, Samantha, makes her smile. 

Samantha gives her a menu, and the woman quickly scans it and then places her order. I see Samantha tell her that it is okay to take a seat, and she'll bring her coffee to her. As the woman turns around, I sense something so familiar about her. However, I am unable to put my finger on it. 

I settle back in my chair and continue to observe. As the woman makes her way towards me, I am taken aback by her eyes. They are bright blue and so intense. Still, there is something about her. 

"Excuse me," she says to me in a voice so familiar. Do you mind if I sit here?

"No, not all. Please make yourself comfortable. It's a lovely little shop, don't you think?" I ask her, trying to make conversation.

"Yes, it is, and I cannot wait for that first sip of coffee. It was a long night of traveling." 

Again, her voice. What is it about her voice? 

"Well, this is a great place to refuel," I say to her. "I come here almost every day."

"I know you do," she says back to me.

I am stunned at her words and sit there for a minute processing.

"I sense your heart is frail, Jewel. Have you come here to heal?" 

And then I remember it all, and I realize who she is. It's Madame Vadoma. The fortune teller that Garnet and I went to the day we first met. 

Comments

Popular Posts