Garnet & Jewel: Mindless

Photo by Marija Zaric on Unsplash

The rain had finally stopped, and the night air had a coolness to it that sent a chill down my spine. Still, I longed to sit by the fire. So, I put on my favorite flannel, grabbed a blanket, and headed out to the back yard.

Shit. I thought as I realized I forgot the fire starters. So, I turned around and headed back up to the cabin. I always forget something. Damn it, Jewel. You had one job. I was talking out loud to no one but me and the local wildlife. Sometimes, they spoke back but not tonight. It was eerily quiet, and the only sounds came from my breathing and the crackle of the leaves underneath my boots.

I quickly ran up the stairs, tripping as I pushed open the door. I could hear voices and promptly realized that I must have forgotten to turn off the television. I didn’t watch it much and used it for background noise more than anything.

Who am I kidding? I liked the distraction it offered; especially now. Turn it off, Jewel. You are going back outside. You need fresh air. I figured if I kept repeating it, I’d be less tempted to stay inside and watch the dumb ass comedy.

You know the kind — the one with a loosely based plot, wild characters, and enough raunch and raucous to last a lifetime.

Mindless and funny. So ridiculous, you couldn’t help but laugh until it hurt. Perfect after a long work week. It was precisely the kind of movie Garnet loved to watch.

We spent countless weekends doing just that. With a massive bowl of popcorn between us, there wasn’t much we’d leave the couch for — other than the occasional potty break and drink refresh. We’d laugh out loud and cry from laughing so hard.

Garnet was famous for spitting out her drink timed impeccably with the most inappropriate exchange in the movie, and I would shake my head. God, how I missed her. I missed our laughter, our bond, our friendship. It had been so long. Too long. Lost in my thoughts, I sighed. I miss you, Garnet.

Comments

Popular Posts