Garnet & Jewel: Husky

Photo by Conscious Design on Unsplash

I remembered the day so clearly. We had just come from the fortune teller booth at the Fall Festival, and we were giddy with delight at having our futures foretold by Madame Vadoma. 


Who would have thought that anything she said would come true? I mean, I did at the time because I was young and naive. But as time went on, I grew weary of anything or anyone claiming to tell the future. I questioned whether that came with maturity or my desire to live in the present. Maybe both. 


Or perhaps it was because I didn't know how to believe.


Garnet believed, though. She always did. It was like she had some sixth sense. I could tell the minute we sat down with Madame Vadoma. The dimly lit tent with flickering lights surrounded us. We sat at a small round table with a deep purple velvet table cover. In the middle sat the all-knowing crystal ball and across from it, Madame Vadoma. 


I remember her being strikingly beautiful with piercing blue eyes and dark hair. Her skin was pale but accentuated with makeup, and her lips glistened in crimson. She wore the most beautiful multi-colored peasant dress, and a large amethyst necklace adorned her neck. On her hand, a large amethyst ring to match. 


I had never seen anyone like her before. 


I was nervous, but she put me at ease. Garnet, on the other hand, was as calm as could be. It was like they had a connection on an ethereal level. One that I didn't understand. But I could sense it in the way they interacted with one another. I think that's what drew me to Garnet. Her intensity and her ability to see the world differently.


Not much of what Madame Vadoma told me that day ever came to fruition; except one thing. It haunts me unexpectedly. I try to shush it out of my mind, but it creeps back in despite my efforts to keep it locked in my mind vault. I hear it over and over again - each time in Madame Vadoma's husky voice. It sends shivers down my spine. Only this time, Garnet isn't here to help calm me down. 

Comments

Popular Posts