Garnet & Jewel: Misfit



Garnet? I called out as I entered the old manor. The old wooden door was heavy and squeaking as I closed it. Feeling a bit anxious, I called for Garnet again. Garnet? Garnet? Are you here? 

But there was no response. 

Instead, only eery silence and a dimly lit foyer that smelled like Old Spice and Patchouli greeted me - a strange combination that overwhelmed my nasal passages. The only other thing it needed was some cobwebs and creepy music to make it complete. A shiver ran down my spine, and I wasn't sure if it was from the cold or something else. I did not like the feeling I was getting. But, I also had an overactive imagination, so I tried to put it to rest.

Where the hell are you, Garnet? I said, annoyed.

Garnet had been house-sitting for a family friend who owned the old house - or manor - as they referred to it. It had been in their family for years and, according to Garnet, had a rich history of intrigue, which was right up Garnet's alley. Not so much up mine, however. I always got this strange feeling that something - or someone - was watching us from the middle window at the top floor of the manor anytime we walked passed.

The minute I would say anything about it, Garnet would laugh so loudly it echoed down the street. Per usual, I would always tell her to stop laughing at me.

Look at it, Garnet. It boasts of macabre! It's a misfit among the others. I would say to her, and without fail she'd always say to me---

It does not boast of macabre, Jewel, and I don't think it's out of place at all. Maybe it's the other houses that are the misfits. 

And then she'd lay off knowing how much it did bother me. 

So, you can only imagine what was going through my mind when I called out for Garnet again but to no avail. Then, I heard it, and my heart nearly stopped.

Comments

Popular Posts