Garnet & Jewel: Build

Photo by Linas Bam on Unsplash

When did this trail become so rocky and overgrown? I said as I stumbled and almost went headfirst onto the path and into the rocks. Damn it. I don't remember it being like this. Getting my footing again, I kept going. It had been years since I'd been back. No time like the present, Garnet. The thoughts were escaping my lips before I had a chance to intercept them.


The last time I was here was with Jewel. We were both feeling nostalgic and wanted to go back to the place where we had not a care in the world. So, we packed our bags, and off we went full of spontaneity and adventure. 


Full of life. A life that was different then.


As I continued along the trail, I took a mental picture of the woods and noted how different it looks this time of year. With the trees unabashedly naked, their limbs seemed liked giant arms looming above and around me, guiding me, perhaps. I could hear the loud crunch of leaves underfoot and the occasional chatter of something in the woods. I tried not to think about it, however. It could be creepy out here alone - even if it were daylight. Nothing is lurking. It's your mind playing tricks. Keep going, Garnet. I kept repeating to myself until I felt more at ease. Then the pep talk. Come on, Garnet. You've done this before. Kick it into gear.


It was different being out here by myself, but strangely, it felt right.


Finally, I made my way to the clearing, and I stopped dead in my tracks. I was sure that I had the right spot. No. I knew I had the right place. The tree with the carving that Jewel made on it was still there. But our hideaway was gone. Nothing remained of our she-fort except for the two log seats that we had dragged out here. One with a "G" carved in it and the other with a "J." We used to sit there for hours. Sometimes in silence, as we watched the wildlife and took in nature's beauty or read books. Other times, we talked non-stop. About life, our families, our friends, love. Our futures. So many things.


We had built something out of nothing — the two of us with our hands and hearts and barrels of laughter at construction gone wrong. 


But we built that! My screams were echoing through the woods. 


And we'll build again. I heard echo back at me. 


But there was no one there.

Comments

Popular Posts